Saturday, November 14, 2009

Netflix - Watch Instantly on PS3

Ray and Sandy got Julie and me a PS3 last Christmas. I've also been a Netflix customer since November '04. I was really excited by the Watch instantly feature that was introduced by Netflix a couple of years ago or so but didn't really watch much because I would have to do so from my computer and that wasn't too exciting for me.

I got an email from Netflix last week explaining their new capability - Downloads via the PS3 to watch instantly from a queue (instead of 'instantly'). I immediately requested the requisite DVD that would enable this feature and just received it in the mail 1 hour ago. You must add to queue from a browser (whether on laptop, desktop or from the PS3 browser or whatever). I want an iPhone app to add to my netflix queue but apparently that is not coming soon (should I build one?)

I'm watching 'Cracking the Maya Code', 20 minutes after deciding that I wanted to watch it - contrast that with putting it in a delivery queue (~1-2 days from local distribution center)

The selection on Watch Instantly still isn't great but I expect that'll change over time. All told, great new feature

No comments: