Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Extending the saw

I am extremely fond of a saying that is most often attributed to our good friend, Ben Franklin: "Fish and Guests stink after three days". I'm super-gregarious and love company but have often found that, no matter who those guests are, this saying is golden. Side note, I don't link to say goodbye more than once either (so when I've said my goodbyes and have left something at your house, I won't be right back to get it).

So why write about this? I've noticed that guest appearances on favorite TV Shows (think Jimmy Smits on Dexter), guest bloggers on blog sites (not going to name any...), guests speakers, etc follow this same adage. Public interest in these folks wanes and the magic number seems to be '3'. Give somebody three times to do anything and even if they don't strike out, nobody wants to see the fourth 'go' at it. Five is right out. Seems the saying goes waaaay back and I love it!

No comments: