I was checking out Google Maps today because I had recently embedded a map using their API on this blog layout. I'm too busy to worry about adding features to this or embedding the map in such a way that it looks nice but I noticed something looking at it that really triggered something.
Context - Crossroads Mall was a mall that sprawled over an immense section of wasted real estate between 28th and 30th streets (w to e) and Arapahoe Ave and Walnut St (s to n). Canyon Blvd stopped after 28th leading East. Early on, when Westminster Mall and Twin Peaks mall were the only shopping malls in the area besides Crossroads, it was booming. When Flatirons Crossing moved in, Crossroads totally died. It was already dying a slow death because it hadn't been revitalized in a very long time and people in Boulder don't really like shopping inside (Mall of America anyone?).
Enter 29th street. Outdoor, open shopping, new Movie Theater, anchor tenants who never anchored (oh, I loved working for you, Wild Oats). So now the conundrum. Why does Google Maps still show Crossroads mall on the map yet displays 29th street and Canyon Blvd as a transector quite effectively? Is it because people love old names (some nostalgic thing I get) or is it laziness in interface development. People should customize their maps and label them however they like. If you want, call the jail the pokey. I don't care. But the base map should reference a centralized building/location management system and I don't see why Google can't partner with Telcordia or somebody to make that happen. Call that area 29th Street Mall; all the signs do.
Anyway, enough ranting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment