Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Navigating the 1940 Census - Early April '12

I logged in, eagerly, to Ancestry.com the morning of the 2nd. I was excited to see the Federal Census records, replete with ability to source records to Ancestors. One of the great features in Ancestry is the ability to compare your sources/records against others when reviewing Hints to determine relative veracity of the source. Second, I had something detailed in mind; I needed to find my Great-Great-Grandfather and Great-Great-Grandmother in New York and see if they were living with others in the family. They were born in Sweden and I cannot trace back to their parents. What makes it most painful is that I have a tin type of Edward and know where the journal is of his journey to the U.S. (with dates and Krona paid). What I was hoping for is whether his other children (in addition to my Great-Grandmother) had children and if I have any living relatives from that branch. So two-fold purpose: 1) Test what Ancestry had built on 1940 Federal Census; 2) Find the Andersons and see who was living with them. Logging in to Ancestry the first day, I noticed that only DC, Panamal (sic) Canal, US Virgin Islands, ME and IN had been completed. I wanted to see PA and NY as most of my ancestors are from Philly and only the Andersons from NY. Midway through the day, logged back in and PA and NY had both begun to post images from the Census. Unfortunately, I was looking for Monroe and Philadelphia Counties in PA and Kings County in NY. So it took until late afternoon until Kings County had posted. I had an address that my Grandfather showed as owning since the turn of the century - all of the children (of whom my Great Grandmother was the eldest) were born in the 1890s. As the census enumeration districts had changed since the 1930 Federal Census, I needed to geocode the address to see where it sits currently in order to find them on the '40 Census. Having found that pinpoint, I needed to look at the new Enumeration Map. Having done so, I could see that 1289A and 1289B were both on St Mark's Ave but not as far down as I needed. So I searched 1275 but found that they had only done the even-side of the street on the block I was looking for. So finally I find it on 1285
of tract 233. Then I pore through the records and I find them - living alone but both alive in 1940. Maybe I'll find Hugo or Albin's descendents and hand them so photos of their family. Until then, I'll be poring over the 33rd Ward in Philly looking for two other sets of Great-Grandparents

No comments: