Friday, October 10, 2008

My Hero, Brett

Brett Myers is my hero. I have a long history with him as a fan, albeit on the periphery. I remember him getting demoted (or repurposed, depending on how you look at it) from starter to closer. He was good as a closer but came out in the rotation in '08. I watched him win early, lose in the middle and really get demoted to the Iron Pigs for a quick, "this is how you pitch in the major leagues", assignment. He came back from something like 3-9 to win his next 7 or so. Tommy Greene was a great hitting pitcher but I've never seen the pitcher go 3-3 with 3 RBIs ever. Never, ever.

The guy's bat is champ and he's hitting 4-5 with 3 RBIs in 2 games in the playoffs. So the fact that the Phils won 8-5 tonight and his 3 RBIs (not to mention 2 runs scored) were the difference notwithstanding, his best plate appearance was unofficial. That was when he took 9 pitches and a walk to set up Rollins for another walk and Victorino to spank one for a GS.

I'll try to forget Mitch Williams if Brad Lidge can not walk home tying runs...

No comments: